Friday, April 17, 2009

What Do You Do When You Have A Setback?

Wednesday my back went out. I didn't follow through on my commitment to hit the gym. I really don't like not keeping my word so I went for an hour long walk, about 3 miles instead. It wasn't easy, but I'm a believer that moving is better than not for many reasons. Keeping your blood moving and your heart rate up is good for healing. It's also good for your bones to keep them moving and lubricated, back to circulation. I'm by no means a medical professional, I've just drawn these conclusions from the advice Ive received over the years, and what just makes sense in my little brain.

With that, my back is better, I saw the chiropractor, but still not 100%. I'm taking it easy and then I'll go to the gym for an easy walk on the treadmill. What do you do to work around an injury or physical set back? I know resting is as essential as staying fit, but it's so darn hard when you feel like you're finding a rhythm and making progress.

2 comments:

penny said...

So sorry to hear about your back! Although, I am kind of jealous of that massage... :) I know how frustrating it can be to need to exercise, but have an injury. Your back especially! One doesn't really appreciate just how often the back is used until it hurts every time you try to use it! I tore my back two summers ago and was experiencing the same frustration. I was bad and actually tried to work out anyway, which is bad! bad! bad! -don't do it! What I suugest is that you stick to exercises you can do with other parts of the body. I know, the back is one of those areas that seems to just be connected to everything, but it is possible! Just remember to be gentle with yourself. Have you tried cycling? I'm sure you'll find something to do as you wait for your back to heal, but remember not to overtax yourself. You don't want to end up injuring yourself again. Better to wait it out until you're all better than to prolong your "handicapp" by trying to do too much.
Sending good thoughts your way! Get better soon!

Kathy said...

Penny, you couldn't be more right, and Dr. D agreed with you. Thanks for taking the time to stay with me. I look forward to your visits. It'll be interesting to see what the MRI shows, something has to be pinched or squished.