Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Oatmeal

I really like oatmeal. That's good for me, because it's really good for me. My problem is that I particularly like the prepackaged flavored oatmeal, cinnamon & spice being my favorite.

Today I thought about splurging and having a packet of my favorite, sugar-flavored oatmeal. I looked at the nutritional information and saw that one packet had 170 calories. I stopped right there. One packet makes about a 1/2 cup of breakfast. That's not enough to get me through to lunch. I thought better of it and went back to work.

Still thinking about oatmeal, I went to my whole oats and looked at that nutritional panel to find that a single serving of regular oatmeal only had 150 calories. I opted to make it the old fashioned way and when it was done, the single serving directions (1C water and 1/2C dry oats, no salt) yielded almost 2 cups of cooked oatmeal! WOW! I added some organic cinnamon and two packets of Splenda (I know, I know! I just can't quit EVERYTHING!), and a splash of 1/2 & 1/2.

The nutritional value of the real oatmeal versus the prepackaged product is obvious. What's not so obvious, is how much more bang you get for your buck in bulk! It was a great way to start my day!

4 comments:

penny said...

I'm an oatmeal nut too! I usually make mine with a tablespoon of ground flax seeds mixed in and a bit of cinnamon.

Anonymous said...

Oatmeal is something which can be liked by someone...??? i must say yes. I actually like your blag as it give me useful information for my healthy life. Walk in Clinic is a facility to make every bodies easier and healthy.

Kathy said...

Not everybody likes oatmeal, but I think it's more the texture that turns them off. I love it! Thanks Zeeshan for writing. Penny, we have a new friend!

WAQAR AHMAD ALI said...
This comment has been removed by the author.