Monday, April 20, 2009

Had A Visit With My Doc

I saw Dr. D today about my back. It seems that maybe it's something more than just overexertion since by all accounts, everything I'm doing should be improving my condition. I'm going to the gym and as soon as I reach the point of increasing the difficulty, my back gives. I start over, and take it a little slower, same-same, only takes longer to go out (since I'm taking it slower!).

She ordered and MRI and said to keep working out, just don't take it to the level that creates the outage. She reminded me that even though I'm not increasing my time/intensity, I'm still reaping the health benefits. I don't know about you, but when I feel like what I'm doing is too easy, I don't want to do it. I want to feel like I'm "working," pushing it even if it's just a little. But, okay, I'll stay at it and just do the minimum to keep exercise on my schedule.

She also advised me to quit worrying about my weight and suggested that if I take my mind off it, it may just come off. After all, she added, "You're not exactly the fat lady in the circus." Okay, that's a more fun quote than the one she used, but you get the idea. I love Dr. D, she has such a way of putting everything in perspective.

1 comment:

penny said...

Bets of luck to you! I hope nothing is terribly wrong. I'll be praying for you. And your wonderful doctor is right. Gotta take care of yourself, and if you need to stop thinking about losing weight for a while to do it, well, so be it. Oh, and the fat lady at the circus comment made my day :)