Friday, May 29, 2009

What Do You Know? I'm Not Crazy!

I saw the pain management doctor yesterday with regard to the episodes of back pain. We went through all the initial appointment formalities when he sat down and read my MRI results. He asked, "Did anyone go over these results with you?" Well, over the phone. They gave me the some of your nerve tissue is exposed... "You have a compression fracture in L1." He chimed in.

Well, okay then. Exactly what does that mean? I didn't need to ask, he could see the look on my face and went on to say that we could leave it alone as it seems to be healing, or we could be aggressive and do surgery. Surgery?! How the heck does someone who gets by really well for the most part need back surgery? He went on, in his calming doctor voice, that it's not necessarily the answer, it's just something to be informed about, and if this doesn't get better, it may be what's needed.

Well, I gotta say, that was a shot out of left field. I like his recommendation for aqua therapy, and for now, he's with Dr. D, no running. I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing since it's working. I'll let you know what a surgeon thinks. I certainly know what I think! Surgery hurts, not just me, but the family members who have to take care of me. Uh, I'm thinking, "NO!"

No comments: