Wednesday, May 20, 2009

SIdelined Again!

This week has been an up hill battle with severe poison oak! I finally had to go the the doctor yesterday as my family is ready to quarantine me.

I did some weeding in the backyard last Thursday and I was actually looking for po. I knew that with our spring rains and hot days, it was bound to be cropping up. I had long pants and long gloves on and as I pulled grasses of all kinds, I didn't see a stitch of po. Go figure! Saturday night, here I am with a bad patch on my right forearm. Sunday it was worse and Monday it blistered and wept like crazy. My thoughts were that that would be the worst of it and by Tuesday it would begin to dry up. Not so.

The doctor congratulated me and diagnosed me as "critically allergic" to po. When it gets this bad, it becomes viral and that's why these little patches are cropping up all over my body. I'm now getting po from the inside out! She gave me a shot in the rear and told me next time, if there is a next time, as soon as it starts to turn red, I have to go get a shot in the butt! She also told me to lay low for three days, no exercise, especially the sweat inducing kind and to let this heal.

So, since I've been on such a great roll, I am planning to walk Riley and do my isometric exercises so minimally, I keep exercise on my calendar and in the loop. The eating plan is still on track and going well. I was disappointed though that my blood pressure was higher than it's ever been. This is especially maddening because I gave up coffee on Mother's Day and have been eating really well and exercising. Dr. D attributed it to the severity of the po infection. We'll see, I hope it's not my unhealthy genetics rearing it's ugly head.

3 comments:

Tania said...

I feel so terrible for you Kathy
:-(

I hope it gets better very soon. I don't think you should be the one going after the PO when it crops up again.

Your blood pressure will be affected by the stress,and I hope genetics is kind to you.

relax and don't sweat...

xxx

Kathy said...

It's better already. Still blisters but SO much better than the last two days. Thank you for your well wishes! Now I have to pay bills on line and check out your new & improved Library!

penny said...

Oh that's terrible and especially annoying because you were being so careful, I'm sure. I've a friend who's very allergic to poison ivy and will have a rection if the pollen comes into the house on her dog's fur, or if she comes into contact with the oil from the stem (no leaves required). Hope your itchy blisters get better soon (and that you might also recover your pride after getting that shot in the rear!). Be good and take it easy!