Monday, May 18, 2009

Some Things That Just Don't Make Sense

Every diet has a gimmick. Whether it's focus is protein, carbs, balance, or a large focus on one item, there are always some fruits and vegetables that are forbidden. Bananas have high sugar, corn is high sugar and high carbohydrate, and avocados are high in fat. It seems silly to me to restrict eating any food that all by itself could be a meal.

I know there is science in food and out biology as humans, but doesn't make sense that eating a banana for breakfast with your coffee is better than any other processed breakfast? The Sugar Buster diet says no. Too much sugar in the monkey food, and that will hang on to your belly fat.

I've found that it's time I listen to my inner voice and just eat good food in it's purest form. I don't like my vegetables seasoned with anything. No salt, butter, pepper, nothing! Steamed or grilled and then enjoy! Same same for fruit. I don't care for fruit cooked on a pizza, on a burger, even raw in a salad (unless it's fruit salad, and then again, plain, mixed, fresh fruit), or in pie. Okay, I can enjoy a piece of pie now and then, but I prefer my fruit fresh and raw. When it comes to pie, I tend to enjoy the flavor of the fruit as I eat the crust and leave the filling.

I declare today that I'm going with my instincts and I'm eating the fruits and veggies that I enjoy and I'm not going to worry about if corn, avocados, or bananas are touted as on the no-no list. If it's a one ingredient food, it's okay for me to eat! It's what my heart of hearts tells me is true, and that's eat good food, watch your portions, and exercise to expend more calories than you take it.

As a balancing thought, I also fell okay about cooked food, too. I don't like it cooked to death, but some things just need to be heated and/or cooked. I'm not a candidate for a completely raw food diet.

What are you thoughts on this?

5 comments:

Tania said...

I agree Kathy.
Although a banana has sugar, it also contains high amounts of potassium. It beats our hearts.

People who eat basic foods will always be their right weight, just the way it goes.

Now where did I put that cookie?

Just kidding,I actually just finished a banana :-))

Great thoughts, I never agreed with cutting real food out.

Kathy said...

Yeah, "they" always leave out the good that those raw foods bring to the table. Many other nutrients and fiber! That's a big one. I just keep coming back to the basics. Eat good food, exercise your body and the rest will take care of itself.

penny said...

I agree, and don't exactly see why anyone would try to demonise a God-given food that's been feeding humans for thousands of years. We don't seem to be the worse for it, and I don't think I've ever seen an overweight monkey in the wild! In regards to raw foods, they're great, untainted, un-fooled-around-with foods that, again, have kept humans and other animals healthy for years -but, (and here's my nerdy, science geek coming out) humans have evolved to be the animals we are because we've learned to cook our food. From a survival standpoint, cooking food allowed humans to eat things that would otherwise be inedible, neutralizing plant toxins and softening tough fibers. And nutritionally, there are some nutrients in food that are denatured when the food is cooked, but also those that are made more bioavailable than when the food is raw. So, you've really got to have a bit of a balance with the raw thing (ok, I'll step down off my soapbox now, and try not to drop my glasses and pocket protector while I do so :)
In reality, Americans probably don't eat enough raw foods and if we did we wouldn't be so fat! So I, too, support the banana crowd and feel that those people who insist on only eating broccoli until after it's been cooked to death and smothered in butter or cheese should be committed (or, at least, kicked out of the kitchen). Did I jump up on my soapbox again? Sorry about that :)

Kathy said...

1. Great post Penny!
2. I love Nerds!
3. Feel free to mount your soap box any darn time you feel like it!

I'mm glad you're here!

Kathy

Tania said...

""So I, too, support the banana crowd""

hahahaha...I love that1